Name : Afroditi Arvaniti
Nationality : Greek
Phone :Mobile : +30 6936834322 Home : +30 210 9601861
With more than 20 years of working experience in the Hotel & Tourism industry, empowered by my passion for hospitality and people, my strong vision, constant learning process, persistence and patience, even under the most challenging moments, integrity and determination, agility and adaptability I had the opportunity to develop both my Managerial skills as well as strategic thinking always driven by results.
My objective as a General Manager of a Landmark 5star property, operating for more than 35 years, in the historic and commercial centre of tψ φhe city of Athens, is to improve Profitability and Productivity ensuring growth through long term Strategic planning and strong positioning of the hotel.
June 2010 - today
General Manager NJV Athens Plaza Hotel & Managing Director of Varnicos Group of Companies SA (Luxury city centre Hotel 182 rooms, Meeting rooms, 2 Restaurants, lounge & bar. Manage a team of 158 people)
1) Lead the effective management of all hotel functional areas to maximize financial performance while upholding quality standards and maximizing the guest experience
2) Responsible for ensuring that all staff and management as well as business decisions are in line with the company's culture including the mission, values and guiding principles of the organization
3) Ensure the maximization of hotel revenue by anticipating market shifts and developing and monitoring annual business & marketing plans
4) Successfully balances the needs and expectations of guests, employees and ownership
5) Ensure the development of a realistic strategic business plan that defines operational goals and profitability.
1) Improved profitability. During a very challenging economic environment drove the hotel to a new era through reorganization and implementation of a new service culture as per International hotel standards.
2) Increased Productivity. Focused both on Sales & Operation functions that increased significantly productivity.
3) Ensured growth. Strategic planning and inspiration of a vision to ensure long term growth and strong position of the Hotel.
July 2006 – May 31st 2010
STARWOOD HOTELS & RESORTS ASTIR PALACE COMPLEX Complex Director of Sales & Marketing
Head of Sales & Marketing Department for Astir Palace Complex of 3 hotels (Luxury Collection, Westin & W) with total number of 500 rooms/5 star properties & conference facilities for 1,000 persons. Managing team of 24 persons
Active member of the Complex Executive Committee
1) Initiate, plan, direct and manage the implementation of the complex sales and marketing strategy.
2) Direct the activities of the Complex Sales, Events, Marketing, PR and Reservation teams, ensuring that the activities of all team members are aligned with Complex strategy.
3) Conduct and present to Starwood and owning company yearly Marketing Plan/Budget.
4) Responsibility for successful implementation and delivery of results accordingly.
5) As an active member of the Executive Committee be actively involved and directly support the hotel operation
1) Transformation : Led overall change in an established organization managed for 40 years under the structure of Greek public sector transforming it to a high standards profitable business unit.
2) Restructure : Implement new policies and create new structure as per Starwood Resort & Hotels standards. Lead strategic planning for the Complex Sales, Marketing & Revenue department to maximize productivity.
3) Growth : Repositioned Hotel Complex and developed a solid new business mix combining traditional and emerging markets , by changing the image and perception of the Market from an outdated resort to a number one upscale property, reputable for its high standards and unique quality.
February 2004 until July 2006
HILTON HOTELS & RESORTS
HILTON ATHENS /527 rooms & conference facilities for 2,500 persons - 5 star property
Director of Sales & Marketing
Head of Department (16 persons)
1) In charge of M.I.C.E (Meetings/Incentives/Conventions) , GROUPS , TRAVEL TRADE
2) In charge of all Major MICE accounts locally and Internationally Managing Hilton Global Accounts Whole Sale FIT/Groups agreements / Tour Series
3) Participate in the preparation of the Business Development plans of the company.
4) In charge of all major corporate communication activities. 5) Managing major Marketing activities / sponsorships
1) Restructure : Restructure and further develop Sales & Marketing team in order to increase productivity and expand in all International and local Markets
2) Growth : Obtain optimal business mix to ensure maximum revenues and profit.
January 2003 – February 2004 HILTON HOTELS & RESORTS
Director of Sales M.I.C.E (Hilton Athens re-opened after a major renovation and after almost 40 years of operation)
1) Manager of the M.I.C.E (Meetings/Incentives/Conventions) Department of Hilton Athens Managing a team of 8 persons
2) Cooperation with major multinational companies in Europe. In Contact with International Associations
3) Negotiate contracts of cooperation for major Conferences/Conventions.
4) Participate in the preparation of the Business Development plans of the company.
5) Major corporate communication activities.
1) New Hotel Opening : Created new department and trained newly hired Sales executives as per Hilton Standards
2) Productivity : Implementation of new Structure & Policies as per Hilton International in order to maximize revenues.
April 2002 – December 2002
ATHENS 2004 (Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games) Project Manager Hotels/Athens Head Office
♦ Conduct and negotiate contracts between the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and 4 & 5 star hotels in Athens
♦ In charge of the project for the selection of the Olympic Hotels in the four Olympic cities (Iraklion, Thessaloniki, Patra, Volos)
♦ Conduct and negotiate contracts with the four Olympic hotels in the four Olympic cities
♦ Organize the International Conferences of the Medical Committee of the IOC and Chefs des Mission conference
1) Negotiation : In charge of all negotiations between the Greek Olympic Committee and Athens's major deluxe hotels, respecting IOC standards, to ensure signed agreements that would lead to optimal results during the Olympic games and benefit both the country as well as the participating hotel's.
March 1998 – March 2002 ACCOR HOTELS
SOFITEL CAPSIS CONVENTION CENTERS AND RESORT HOTELS
(Two 5star Hotels (Sofitel Capsis Rhodes & Sofitel Capsis Palace Crete) with 660 rooms each. Convention Centers /Conference facilities of 2000 persons in Crete & 3,000 persons in Rhodes.
Complex Director of Sales (Athens Head Office – Sales & Marketing)
2) Managing a sales team of 10 persons
3) In charge of Business Development Projects
4) Sales trips abroad 5) Contact International Associations
6) Company Presentations during International Biddings
7) Supervise process and handling, of major files
8) Managing the corporate communication team
1) Build International Relations : Initiated and Managed Franchise agreement with Accor/Sofitel improving international business and maximizing revenues
2) Transform a local Sales Office to an International department biding for major worldwide Conferences & Events
3) Growth : Position & Promote New Convention Centre to all potential International markets. Design & implement new Sales strategies as per International standards.
1995 – 1998 HORIZON TRAVEL S.A.
Director of Sales &Marketing
1) Director of "Business Circle" Department, in charge of major accounts (Greek & Multi National Companies, International Institutions and associations based in Greece).
2) Corporate Travel and organization of meetings and Incentives both in Greece and abroad.
3) Cooperation with worldwide hotel chains
Major accounts: IBM, Price Water House Coopers, Guiness UDV, Deloitte & Touche, L'Oreal, Roche Hellas, Sanofi, Delta S.A., OTE, Mtilineos S.A. , YPO
1) Innovation : Initiate New Department , within the organization , planning meetings/conferences for major Greek & International companies based in Greece. Contribute significantly to the profit increase of the organization.
1990–1995 HORIZON TRAVEL S.A. (Appointed DMC for Greece of MARITZ TRAVEL USA)
Sales Manager /French & US Market A promising career begins with my employment by the above organization. Personal development within, as well as professional recognition and establishment in the Tourist Market through the above company.
♦ Planning and Introducing Incentive programs for major Incentive Houses and International Commercial Accounts.
♦ Maintain Prospective clients and generate continuing business through sales trips abroad
♦ Public relations and Local sales
♦ Costing of Incentive programs
♦ Coordination of services provided by the office while in operation Cooperation with the biggest hotels in Greece for the accommodation of incoming business
1985 – 1990 Professional Lecturer / Guide
Cooperation with Major Travel Agencies in Athens (Horizon Travel, Arvanitis, Amphitrion, Triaena tours & Congress, Concept tours etc)
Preparation and Operation of Incentive programs in cooperation with Horizon S.A. (US Market)
Lectures for VIP delegations for Ministry of Culture, European Cultural Center of Delphi, Unesco and other major Institutions
Graduate Senior State College of Tourism in Athens
Greek and Roman Art History / Museum of Louvre – Paris
1998 – 2000
Series of ACCOR Academy seminars concerning development of MICE sector, organized by ACCOR in PARIS.
2000 – 2002
Workshops on Project and Process Management by Dr Dimitris Seferis/ Professor University of Washington & Member of the Academy of Athens
2003 – Hilton University Management seminars (total 10 projects)
2006 Hilton University / Pro Active Leadership Master Course
2008 Starwood Academy : Leading Starwood Seminars/Paris 2009 Starwood Academy : "Blue Ocean" Leading Starwood International GM'S Assessment
2013 Cornell University/School of Hotel Administration (e-Cornell)
"Certificate in Strategic Leadership for the Hospitality Professional " Completed
"Master Certificate in Hospitality Management : Focus on Finance & Revenue"
Memberships : Member of European Hotel Managers Association (EHMA) Member of the Chief Executive Officers (CEO) International Club Member of Meeting Planners International (MPI)
Greek : Fluent
English : Fluent
French : Fluent
Italian : Spoken
Spanish : Spoken
- Office (word, excel, power point)
Hobbies : Tennis, Classic Ballet, Music, Art History